Saturday, July 23, 2016

A shark ate my dinner!

July 17, 2016

Out for another beautiful day of fishing on the Delaware bay! As always, I was hopeful there would be fish for dinner, but had a back up plan just in case!

We headed out to drift by the outer wall and caught a couple of nice Kingfish!  I put them on a stringer and we continued to drift for a while.  The bites slowed to non existent, so we headed for the inner wall. 

I put the stringer of fish back out and tied them kind of loosely to the cleat since there was such a length of it (it is really for the pier so it is 20 feet long!). 

There was a tense moment when ferry's were both coming and going on either side of us.  Other than few if any more bites, it was a great day - perfect weather really. 

Then I heard Jim shout and I lurched for the stringer that was rapidly pulling away from the boat  I missed it and broke one of the guides on my rod (not the new Penn, thankfully!).  I felt sick. 

"I'm going to cry." I said, "I'm going to throw up!"  I was so upset I couldn't breath for a moment. Finally we just started fishing again - in silence.  I got a bite!  I started reeling it in. 

I actually saw the second Kingfish we caught earlier slip off the stringer I had just caught with my line and realized the first fish was really just a head now.

Probably not a good idea to have a stringer of fish hanging in the water outside the boat in shark -infested waters. 

Well, the bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches were pretty good, actually! 




No comments:

Post a Comment